53 W. Jackson St., Chicago IL 60604
- (312) 922-1890
Built in two phases during the late 1880s and early 1890s, the Monadnock reveals the change in modern architectural construction in the late nineteenth century. The north portion of the building utilizes load-bearing masonry, while the south addition employs steel-frame construction. The south portion appears much lighter as compared to the heavy north portion, whose base has six-foot thick walls. Today, the first floor is home to such shops as Florodora and restaurants as Cavanaugh’s Bar & Restaurant.