Tour Chicago like a local, with a local
Nobody knows Chicago like a local. Which is why Chicago Greeter’s free year-round guided walks are so unique. A Greeter visit is like spending time with a friend who shows you all their favorite places — the ones you wouldn’t find in your average guidebook.
A recipient of TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence, awarded in recognition of consistently great reviews from travelers, these 2 – 4 hour insider tours of Chicago’s diverse neighborhoods are conducted in over a dozen languages. What’s more, you can customize your Greeter visit to focus on special-interest areas such as architecture, foodie culture, LGBTQ+ Chicago, and family fun, to name a few. You’ll explore authentic Chicago — its fascinating histories, diverse cultural traditions, iconic landmarks, and off-the-beaten-path gems.
“Without our awesome Chicago Greeter we would not have known or explored as much as we did. It literally was a personalized tour…where we got the ins and outs of the city.”
InstaGreeter guided walks
Looking for more flexibility, or making plans to visit Chicago last minute? Let InstaGreeter take you on a free hour-long guided walk of downtown Chicago, without the need to register. Walks generally are offered on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays:
- Loop InstaGreeter: Available year round, departing at 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m., and 2:30 p.m. from the Chicago Cultural Center’s Randolph Street lobby, 77 E. Randolph St.
- Millennium Park InstaGreeter: Available May 24 – Oct. 6, 2019, departing at 11 a.m. from the Chicago Cultural Center’s Randolph Street lobby, 77 E. Randolph St.
- Chicago Riverwalk InstaGreeter: Available May 16 – Oct. 6, 2019, departing 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., Thursday – Sunday from Heald Plaza (at the intersection of Wabash Ave. and Wacker Drive, at the top of the stairs leading down to the Chicago River).
- Uptown InstaGreeter: 2019 dates TBD, departing 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. from Provisions Uptown, 4812 N. Broadway St.
Have questions about InstaGreeter visits? View our InstaGreeter FAQs.
International Greeter Day
Chicago celebrated International Greeter Day on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019. It featured free tours of any one of five Chicago neighborhoods or downtown. Tours included:
- A Water Taxi to Ping Tom Park in Chinatown
- Old Town, home to The Second City comedy club
- Chicago Riverwalk
- The Loop and Millennium Park
- Vibrant mosaics of Pilsen
- The Monument to the Great Northern Migration in Bronzeville
- Provisions Uptown for a one hour walk.
Check back next year for information about international Greeter Day 2020!
Learn more about International Greeter Day.
Volunteer as a Chicago Greeter
Love Chicago? Want to show visitors from all around the world your favorite spots in your favorite neighborhoods? Volunteer as a Chicago Greeter. No additional experience is necessary; all you need is a passion for Chicago and knowledge of all it has to offer. You can even customize your visits to your specific interests.
Have questions about becoming a Chicago Greeter? View our Volunteer FAQs.