Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago, The
126 E. Chestnut St., Chicago IL 60611
- (312) 787-2729
- (312) 787-4584
Since 1914, more than 8 million people have entered under the carved stone tympanum over the Michigan Avenue entrance to Fourth Presbyterian Church. (The congregation was founded in 1871 and occupied two earlier church buildings before moving to Michigan Avenue.) Today more than 5,700 members call Fourth Church home, and more than 2,000 people worship here every Sunday. Most of the interior and exterior of the church is “original,” looking just as it has looked for almost a century. The cornerstone was laid in 1912, and the building was dedicated in May 1914. Except for the Old Water Tower, Fourth Church is the oldest building on Michigan Avenue north of the Chicago River.