Chicago’s awards and accolades, which recognize everything from dining and hotels to business and tourism, extend through the years. Here’s just a sampling of the recognition the city has received.
Food and drink
- The global Time Out Index 2019 named Chicago the best food and drink city in the world and the third best city in the world overall.
- TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice Awards rank The Peninsula Chicago (#1) The Langham, Chicago (#3), and Four Seasons Chicago (#18) among the Top 25 Luxury Hotels — United States.
- U.S. News & World Report names three Chicago hotels best in the country: The Peninsula Chicago (#2), Four Seasons Chicago (#5), The Langham, Chicago (#7).
- Chicago was named one of the top North American markets that meeting planners intend to use in the next two years, according to STR’s 2019 DestinationMAP (Meeting Assessment Program).
- Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards rank Chicago #1 on their list of 2018 Best Big Cities in the U.S.
- TripAdvisor ranks the Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise as one of the top attractions in the country (Time).
- Time Out names Chicago “The World’s Best City For Having It All.”
- TripExpert awards Maggie Daley Park a 2018 Experts’ Choice Award for Attractions (CBS).
- Forbes names Pilsen one of The 12 Coolest Neighborhoods Around the World.
- TripAdvisor names the Art Institute of Chicago #4 on its list of Top 25 Museums – United States.
Food and drink
- Joe Flamm, Executive Chef of Chicago’s Michelin-starred Spiaggia and Café Spiaggia, is named Bravo’s new Top Chef.
- Fat Rice chef/owner Abe Conlon wins James Beard Award for Best Chef: Great Lakes.
Twenty-five Chicago restaurants are awarded with coveted stars in the Michelin Guide 2018.
- Food and Wine names Chicago chef Diana Dávila of Mi Tocaya Antojeria one of the Best New Chefs 2018.
- Elite Traveler ranks Alinea #1 on its list of the Top 100 Restaurants in the World for 2018.
- The Chicago Tribune announces Cheers, Chicago! You’re home to the most breweries in the U.S.
- Site Selection names Chicago the top metro area in the nation for corporate relocation and investment for the third consecutive year.
- Smart Cities Connect awards Chicago a Smart 50 Award for its innovative Array of Things program, the first of its kind to be implemented on a city-wide scale.
- Chicago tops Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards for 2017 Best Cities in the U.S.
- Chicago is Expedia’s most searched for city in America.
- Bank of America Chicago Marathon is named to Compression+Design’s list of Great Running and Cycling Races From Every State.
- TripAdvisor reveals Shoreline Sightseeing’s Chicago Architecture River Cruise as the most booked tour in America.
- The City of Chicago reveals that Millennium Park is the #1 attraction in the Midwest and one of America’s top 10 most-visited sites.
Food and drink
- Condé Nast Traveler names Chicago Best Restaurant City in America.
- Bon Appetit names Chicago the Restaurant City of the Year 2017.
- Food and Wine names Chicago chef Noah Sandoval of Oriole one of the Best New Chefs 2017.
- Rick Bayless’ Topolobampo wins the Outstanding Restaurant award at the James Beard Awards; Sarah Grueneberg of Monteverde was awarded with Best Chef: Great Lakes.
- Chicago’s critically acclaimed Alinea ranks #21 on The World’s 50 Best Restaurants list.
- U.S. News & World Report names The Langham, Chicago the Best Hotel in the U.S.
- The Robey Chicago makes Travel+Leisure’s 2017 It List.
- Modis names Chicago the nation’s top tech hot spot of the future.
- TripAdvisor’s 2016 Travelers’ Choice Awards rank Chicago #4 on their list of Top 25 Destinations — United States
- Chicago tops Time Out’s global ranking of the world’s most fun cities.
- Condé Nast Traveler names Chicago one of The Best Big Cities in the U.S.
- Chicago tops Bicycling.com’s list of The 50 Best Bike Cities of 2016.
- Travel + Leisure names Chicago one of The Best Cities in the U.S.
- TripAdvisor names Art Insitute of Chicago among its Travelers’ Choice Top 25 Museums in the World.
- Chicago is named #6 on Condé Nast Traveler’s list of the Top 25 Best Coastal Cities in the World.
Food and drink
- Food & Wine names Monteverde Restaurant & Pastificio one of the Top 10 Restaurants of the Year.
- The Beard Awards to Remain in Chicago Through 2021
- The Chicago Athletic Association makes Travel+Leisure’s It List 2016: the Best New Hotels on the Planet.
- Condé Nast Traveler’s 2016 Readers’ Choice Awards name Virgin Hotels Chicago and Thompson Chicago the #1 and #2 hotels in America.
- The Langham, Chicago ranks #1 on trivago’s list of The Best Hotels in the U.S.