Choose Chicago’s research provides insight into the city’s tourism and hotel landscape. This data also offers insight on the impact of tourism on the city. This research paints an impressive picture of Chicago’s standing as a premier location for leisure travel, meetings, and special events.
Choose Chicago research focuses on two key areas:
Choose Chicago provides information about hotel development, hotel supply, and monthly occupancy, average daily rate, and room demand performance.
In 2018, the Chicago tourism industry represented:
- An estimated 5.7% increase in 2018 domestic visitors over 2017, and an estimated increase of 4.0% in overseas visitors
- A 4.3% jump in hotel stays from 2017 to 2018, and an average daily room rate increase of 4.5%
- $141M in city hotel tax revenue
- $16B in direct tourism spending
- $1.1B in tax revenue from tourism activities
- Over 152,000 tourism-related jobs