Choose Chicago strongly believes in supporting the future of the hospitality and tourism industries in our city. One of the many ways we do this is by investing in outstanding college and university students who show promise as future leaders within the tourism industry.
The Choose Chicago Future Leader Award is a merit-based opportunity that recognizes students who demonstrate their commitment and passion for the hospitality and tourism industries. Four (4) winners will be selected annually to each receive a $5,000 award to apply to their educational costs (i.e. tuition, room and board, and other associated expenses).
Selection of recipients
Recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, professional and internship experience, relevant volunteer experience, educational and/or professional recommendations, and an essay that includes a statement of career and educational aspirations and goals. See specific eligibility guidelines.
The Future Leader Award is open to all students meeting the criteria below. However, additional consideration is given to applicants who are hospitality/tourism or related majors and who have experience in the hospitality/tourism industry.
The Choose Chicago Future Leader Award Committee will select the recipients of the award based on the above qualifications and grading rubric with a point system. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final.
Eligibility and qualifications
Award applicants must fulfill the following requirements to qualify for consideration:
- Choose Chicago Student Partner
- 3.0 GPA or above
- Undergraduate or Graduate Student enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university in the Chicagoland area
- All academic majors are eligible to apply
Submit the following materials in ONE PDF document to email@example.com:
- College Transcript
- We will accept a current, complete, unofficial transcript including student name, school name, grade point average, grades and credit hours for each course and term in which each course was taken.
- 1 Page Resume or Resume Form
- The resume form can be found with the application form
- Resume form should only be used if you do not have a professional resume
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
- We suggest at least one from a current or former employer/industry professional
- A typed 1,000-word essay
- Select one of the three topics below for your essay:
- Tell us about a time you demonstrated leadership to overcome an obstacle.
- Tell us about one of your favorite industry experiences and the impact it had on you.
- Why do you want to work in hospitality and what do you hope to achieve in your career?
- Applicants should be prepared for an interview if selected as a finalist
Your application must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 21, 2020 to qualify for consideration.
Award recipient responsibilities
Recipients will be informed via a phone call and email if they have received an award. Recipients will be given award acceptance instructions and a deadline to accept the award.
If recipients do not formally accept their awards by the deadline specified in their offer letters, the funds may be reallocated to other applicants.
Recipients may be asked to attend an event or events honoring them.
Recipients may be asked to deliver brief remarks at relevant events.
Choose Chicago reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this award program and to make changes at any time including termination of the program.
Call: (312) 567-8461