Oct. 16 − 25, 2020
20 neighborhoods. 10 days. Endless places to explore.
Open House Chicago is back with a reimagined event for 2020. The beloved architecture festival, hosted by the Chicago Architecture Center, will now span 10 days and more than 20 of Chicago’s unique neighborhoods. This year’s event includes both online and outdoor events that showcase the fascinating history, architecture, and culture of the city’s diverse neighborhoods.
Open House Chicago neighborhood tours
This year’s in-person events include self-guided outdoor tours that showcase the culture, history, and architecture of various neighborhoods. These curated tours and trails can be done on foot, on bike, or via a car. A forthcoming Open House app will help participants easily navigate the trails and provide information about each stop.
Here are the self-guided architecture trails presented by Open House Chicago 2020. Tour details and guides coming soon.
Architectural Innovation Trails
- Fulton Market District
- Hyde Park
- A Ribbon of Green on the West Side
- Chicago’s Tied Houses
- North Shore Historic Homes
- Olmsted’s South Park
- Austin: Frederick R. Schock Homes
- Beverly: The Prairie School
- Bronzeville: Performance Spaces in the Black Metropolis
- Downtown: Lakeshore East
- Lincoln Park: A Women’s History
- Logan Square: Homes of the Boulevards
- Near North Side: Gold Coast Tales
- Near South Side: Prairie Avenue Homes
- Oak Park: The Young Frank Lloyd Wright
- Pilsen: Mosaics
- Pullman and Roseland Today
- Rogers Park: The Mile of Murals
- Wicker Park: Beer Baron Row
Open House Chicago virtual events
Open House Chicago will also offer roughly two dozen virtual programs and tours throughout the festival. The line-up includes both free and paid events; advanced registration will be required for most. Here’s a preview of a few upcoming events, full details on online event listings and schedules coming soon.
- Revitalized: What’s New and Cool on the River
- Women in Architecture Virtual Tour
- If Walls Had Ears: Historic Chicago Music Venues
- South Shore Neighborhood Virtual Tour
- Chicago Landmarking at 50: Past, Present and Future
About Open House Chicago 2020
Now in its 10th year, Open House Chicago is one of the largest architecture events of its kind in the world. The free festival typically offers access to hundreds of sites across Chicago, from iconic locations to under-the-radar architectural gems.
This year, the event has been reformatted for outdoor and online participation to accommodate for social distancing and ensure the safety of all participants. The Open House itineraries will focus less of specific sites and more on larger themes — forgotten or under-celebrated architects, how community areas develop specific architecture styles, and important places for understanding the city’s history. This year’s highlighted neighborhoods include an emphasis on the South and West sides.
Visit openhousechicago.org for details and updates. And follow the Chicago Architecture Center on Facebook at facebook.com/chiarchitecture, on Twitter at @chiarchitecture, and on Instagram at instagram.com/chiarchitecture.