From swanky balls at historic hotels to live DJs at underground clubs to unforgettable meals at Michelin-starred restaurants — there are tons of memorable ways to ring in the New Year in Chicago. Here are a few of our favorite ways to celebrate this year, including live shows at cool music venues, award-winning dining options, unique events, spectacular fireworks displays, and more for New Year’s Eve 2023 in Chicago.
- New Year’s Eve fireworks and events at Navy Pier
- Dinner at Chicago restaurants
- Parties at Chicago hotels
- New Year's Eve parties and events
- Live shows and concerts
New Year’s Eve fireworks and events at Navy Pier
Navy Pier‘s iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks show will light up the sky over Lake Michigan at the stroke of midnight. The spectacular display can be seen along the lakefront, but the best views are from Navy Pier’s official New Year’s Eve parties at the Aon Grand Ballroom or Offshore Rooftop & Bar.
New Year on the Pier at Aon Grand Ballroom
Make it a New Year’s to remember with this over-the-top celebration. Set in the stunning Aon Grand Ballroom, the evening will include the city’s largest dance floor, gourmet appetizers, a live band and DJ, and a grand countdown to the midnight fireworks show. Get tickets today.
Offshore Rooftop & Bar
The nation’s largest rooftop bar, Offshore Rooftop, offers sweeping views of the Chicago skyline and the midnight fireworks show. The all-inclusive event includes a five-hour open bar, a midnight champagne toast, heavy passed bites, food stations, a ball drop, and much more. Get tickets today.
New Year’s Eve lakefront cruises
Set sail on an elegant dinner cruise that departs from Navy Pier. Enjoy dinner, dancing, DJs, champagne toasts, and more all with panoramic views of the glittering city skyline. Get tickets today.
Dinner at Chicago restaurants
Say goodbye to 2022 with an unforgettable meal courtesy of Chicago’s award-winning dining scene. The city’s restaurants are going all out for New Year’s Eve dinner, with one-night-only specials, champagne toasts, luxe add-ons, and more.
- RPM Seafood: Admire the grand Chicago River fireworks display from this waterfront locale in River North. Fulfill your seafood cravings with a variety of warm and chilled selections, such as butter-poached lobster and red snapper ceviche.
- Bronzeville Winery: Brimming with local art, live music, and conversation, this upscale spot is the place for all types of celebrations. Ring in New Year’s Eve with inventive dishes like seared watermelon steak and coconut red curry snapper and don’t forget the wine pairings.
- Carnivale: Revel in dinner and an electrifying show at this long-time West Loop spot, which serves flavorful fusion cuisine inspired by Central and South America. The 90-minute Latin variety show will have live music, street dancers, a DJ, Brazilian samba dancers, an aerialist, and more.
- Eden: Check out this gorgeous new Avondale restaurant and enjoy their special New Year’s Eve chef’s tasting menu.
- Avli on The Park: Experience an elegant five-course Mediterranean menu within sight of Millennium Park. Stick around after dinner for a Greek celebration starting at 10 p.m., featuring live entertainment, passed bites, and champagne toasts.
Check out more restaurants open on New Year’s Eve in Chicago this year.
Parties at Chicago hotels
Chicago hotels are pulling out all the stops for New Year’s Eve 2023. Sip champagne in historic ballrooms, marvel at a midnight confetti drop, and dance the night away to live DJs and bands. And don’t forget to reserve a room for the night for an all-in-one NYE getaway.
- Sky High NYE at Virgin Hotels Chicago: Dance the rest of the year away at this high-energy bar at Virgin Hotel’s Cerise rooftop, which has been transformed into a winter wonderland. Enjoy performances from acclaimed artists, over-the-top decor, and festive cocktails.
- New Year’s Eve at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago: Experience an upscale rooftop NYE celebration on the fourth-floor lounge of this hotel in the heart of River North. Dress to impress with formal attire, and indulge in chef-driven cocktails, tray-passed appetizers, and a midnight champagne toast. Premium upgrades for private booths and igloos are available.
- Gatsby’s Roaring ‘20s New Year’s Eve Soiree at JW Marriott Chicago: Look to the future while embracing the past with a 1920s-themed extravaganza. The all-inclusive gala comes with three exclusive events, a pasta buffet, abundant hors d’oeuvres, live music, and a top-shelf drinks package, where more than 40 bartenders and servers will make the rounds.
- The Lobby New Year’s Eve Gala at The Peninsula Chicago: Expect an unforgettable dinner and lots of dancing at this five-star hotel in the Near North Side. At the on-site restaurant The Lobby, start the evening with a welcome cocktail, then prepare for a night of dancing with a thoughtfully curated five-course dinner. The party is black tie optional, and highlights include a live band, champagne bar, and midnight countdown with party favors.
- New Year’s Eve at Pendry Chicago: Choose from two special NYE events hosted at this stylish boutique hotel in the Loop. Join a winter wonderland on the 24th-floor rooftop lounge, Château Carbide, for bites of sushi, a wide selection of drinks, and views of the midnight fireworks show. For a more intimate affair, head to Bar Pendry to sip handcrafted and classic cocktails next to the double-sided fireplace. Both events will have live music and a complimentary champagne toast at midnight.
- New Year’s Eve Party with Kiss FM at Hilton Chicago: Dress your best and spend an evening partying in Hilton Chicago’s ballrooms, featuring a dozen live acts and 103.5 Kiss FM’s top DJs and hosts throughout the night. Enjoy a buffet, specialized martinis, champagne, fantasy casino gambling, celebrity DJs, and a midnight confetti storm.
- Ballroom Blitz at Swissotel Chicago Hotel: Ring in 2023 at this waterfront hotel, right next to the Chicago River. A ticket will get you custom martinis, premium champagne, a variety of hors d’oeuvres, live DJs, and a complimentary pre- and post-party.
- Chicago New Year’s Eve Party at Congress Plaza Hotel: The historic Congress Plaza Hotel will be hosting a multi-ballroom New Year’s Eve soiree. Dance the night away on multiple dance floors, mingle with sharply dressed attendees, and enjoy buffets, Chicago’s hottest DJs, and all-inclusive drinks.
- New Year’s Eve Party at The Drake Hotel Chicago: Billed as Chicago’s longest-running NYE party, The Drake’s annual event draws thousands of partygoers to this historic space. Your ticket includes six ballrooms of entertainment, hors d’oeuvres, party favors, two balloon drops at midnight, and optional VIP upgrades.
- New Year’s Eve at LondonHouse Chicago: Start the new year with a breathtaking view of the Chicago River midnight fireworks display at this downtown hotel. LondonHouse is offering two parties, one in their grand ballroom and the other on their iconic rooftop lounge. Both include a live DJ, open bar, a selection of appetizers, a photo booth, and a complimentary champagne toast.
New Year’s Eve parties and events
Admire millions of lights in a wintery zoo, sip craft beer from local breweries, go back in time with a retro-themed evening at a food hall, and so much more. Check out these unique parties and events ringing in the New Year in Chicago.
- Zoo Year’s Eve at Lincoln Park Zoo: Grab your crew and head to the zoo. Spend an after-hours evening at Zoo Year’s Eve, when one of the oldest zoos in the country will be decked out in millions of glittering lights. Plus, enjoy ice carving, cash bars, a live DJ, giveaways, games, free carousel rides, and more.
- New Year’s Eve in the Sky at 360 CHICAGO: Enjoy a one-of-a-kind New Year’s celebration at the sky-high observatory featuring unlimited rides on TILT, a live DJ, a complimentary glass of sparkling wine, and a full cash bar with specialty cocktails.
- New Year’s Eve Cruise: The Midnight Kiss: Step aboard a luxury yacht on Lake Michigan for picture-perfect views of the city skyline and fireworks. In addition to a midnight countdown with champagne, passengers can look forward to an open bar, passed hors d’oeuvres, a three-course dinner buffet, a live DJ, and complimentary party favors.
- New Year’s Eve at King of Cups: Channel positive energy into the new year at a themed spirit lounge tucked away in Lincoln Park. Dress up in royal attire and take advantage of the premium open bar and fortunetelling provided by the bar’s in-house tarot readers. Plus, enjoy passed appetizers, desserts, and fun party favors.
- The Premier: NYE 2023 at The Promontory: Dance to four of the city’s best DJs under one roof at this energetic party in Hyde Park. Tickets include admission, a balloon drop, party favors, and a midnight toast, with an optional open bar and VIP tables.
- New Year’s Eve at The Metropolitan: End the year in style at this black tie affair. Start the evening with action stations, music, and passed hors d’oeuvres. Then ring in 2023 with a midnight champagne toast while overlooking the Chicago skyline.
- New Year’s Eve at Reggies Rooftop: This South Loop music venue will be hosting a New Year’s Eve party in its rooftop bar space, with drink packages, a food buffet, and a champagne toast at midnight.
- New Year’s Eve Party at Three Dots and a Dash: Sip on the city’s best tropical cocktails while counting down to the new year at this subterranean tiki bar. The evening also includes a live DJ and appetizers.
Explore more New Year’s Eve events and parties happening in Chicago.
Live shows and concerts
Whether you’re looking for theatre, dance, comedy, or music, these Chicago venues are offering exhilarating shows and productions that will start your new year off on an exciting note. Check out some of the live events happening this New Year’s Eve in Chicago.
- Frankie Parker and The Gentlemen at The Bassment: Swing by this River North neighborhood cocktail lounge for a live performance by Frankie Parker and The Gentlemen. Celebrate the end of 2022 with specialty cocktails and a complimentary champagne toast at midnight.
- The Second City: Laugh the night away at Chicago’s famed comedy club in Old Town, which will be featuring multiple improv and sketch shows throughout New Year’s Eve.
- Dehd at The Empty Bottle: Dehd and Deeper will be performing on New Year’s Eve at this beloved West Town venue.
- The Disco Biscuits at Riviera Theatre: Jam out to electronic and rock music at this historic music venue in the Uptown neighborhood. Dance the night away from 9 p.m. until the new year.
- Denise Thimes Quintet at Winter’s Jazz Club: Soak up the relaxed, easygoing atmosphere at this intimate bar and lounge in River North. Seating is first come, first served, so arrive early to this 8 p.m. jazz performance.
- FISHER at RADIUS: At this massive Pilsen concert venue, move to the beat of the electronic tracks produced by Los Angeles-based FISHER.
- The Red Roses at The Cubby Bear: Rock out with a local cover band at this Wrigleyville neighborhood sports bar, located across from Wrigley Field. Admission also includes appetizers and a midnight champagne toast.
- Blue Man Group: In Lakeview, the Blue Man Group is ready to party for New Year’s Eve. Choose from one of four ultra-colorful, all-ages shows at 1 p.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m., or 10 p.m.
Explore more New Year’s Eve events and shows happening in Chicago.