Incredible views. Sharp acoustics. A sleek space and a downtown address. At the Harris Theater for Music and Dance at Millennium Park, all of this combines with a stellar program of local, national and international acts. On any given night, you may be treated to an opera or the ballet, a symphony orchestra or jazz ensemble, contemporary dance or choral music.
Since opening in 2003, the non-profit theater features the most diverse offerings of any venue in Chicago, hosting the city’s most acclaimed institutions as well as world-renowned artists and ensembles through its Harris Theater Presents series.
Browse the full performance calendar and explore what’s upcoming in the current season. With such an exciting repertoire, the Harris Theater is widely recognized as a major artistic destination in the Midwest and a vital cultural anchor in Chicago.
HARRIS THEATER PRESENTS
Through the Harris Theater Presents series, the Theater has hosted the biggest names from around the globe, including Daniel Barenboim, Mikhail Baryshnikov, the New York City Ballet, Paris Opéra Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, Stephen Sondheim and Pinchas Zukerman.
In the midst of its 12th Season, the Harris Theater for Music and Dance fills the calendar with can't-miss performances in 2016 and 2017. Browse the highlights below and get the complete calendar at harristheaterchicago.org
A sublime lineup of Chicago debuts and Harris Theater premieres from national and international sensations includes:
- Batsheva Dance Company will perform in dual showings of Last Work. The contemporary show will highlight 34 dancers from the largest company in Israel. (January 27 & 28, 2017)
- Some of a Thousand Words, a new collaborative work from New York City Ballet's Wendy Whelan, featuring Harris Theater's Choreographer in Residence, Brian Brooks, and the inspired Brooklyn Rider. (February 24, 2017)
- The story of The Wanderer comes to life through the movements of Jessica Lang Dance set to Franz Shubert's "Die schöne Müllerin". (May 3, 2017)
A broad spectrum of music performances boasts one of the most ambitious music offerings to date, featuring many of today's leading musicians, ensembles, and organizations from around the world, including:
- Performaces of Beyond the Aria starring singers Christiane Karg, Russell Thomas, and Stephanie BLythe (January 19, February 21, & April 26, 2017)
The Harris Theater plays a vital role to the Chicago performing arts scene, partnering with not-for-profit music and dance organizations to provide the resources—as well as its incredible performance space—necessary to achieve artistic growth and success.
Discover some of Chicago’s emerging and most recognizable institutions as now 40 diverse resident companies call the Harris home. This exceptionally-talented roster fills the calendar with performances that draws arts and culture enthusiasts year round.
Just some of the resident companies include:
- Chicago Opera Theater, the young, fresh and critically-acclaimed theater company that offers first class productions of operatic repertoire and specializes in the greatest works of the 17th, 18th and 20th centuries.
- Chicago Children’s Choir, a multiracial, multicultural choral music education organization that serves more than 3,000 children through choirs in Chicago Public Schools, after-school programs and the Concert Choir
- Luna Negra Dance Theater, a company that celebrates the richness and diversity of Latino culture through the creation of works by contemporary Latino choreographers
- Music of the Baroque, consistently positioned among Chicago’s leading classical music groups, one of the few groups of its stature in the country devoted to the performance of eighteenth-century works
For additional details on resident and visiting companies, performance schedules and tickets, visit harristheaterchicago.org. And if you’re looking to get the inside scoop on what’s happening across the city, get recommendations from our resident culture vultures at the Chicago Like a Local blog.