Menu
Chicago Board of Trade Building
  • The Chicago Board of Trade is housed in an art deco building designed by Holabird & Root and completed in 1930 with an addition in 1980 by Murphy & Jahn. The building is a rare hybrid in American architecture that successfully combines from two periods. The main portion which sits regally at the termination of LaSalle St. is a striking 45-story tower whose facade features the jagged sawtooth profile associated with Art Deco skyscrapers. The 24-story steel and glass post-modern addition to the south features a black and silver exterior that contrasts sharply with the gray limestone cladding of the original. The building is crowned with a faceless sculpture of the Roman goddess Ceres.