Menu
Michigan Avenue Bridge (DuSable Bridge)
  • The Michigan Avenue Bridge was built in 1920 as part of the Burnham Plan of 1909. The bridge itself was designed by Edward Bennett, co-author of the Plan of Chicago. Like most of Chicago's bridges, this one is a trunnion bascule. The construction of the bridge led to the rapid development of North Michigan or what Arthur Rubloff would call the Magnificent Mile in 1947. There are two sculptural reliefs on the bridge that represent events in Chicago history: Defence and Regeneration by Henry Hering grace the south pylons, while on the north pylons The Discoverers and The Pioneers by James Earle Fraser.