American Idol winner and platinum-selling songwriter PHILLIP PHILLIPS will perform live in Draft Town on Saturday, May 2 at 8 p.m. CT, the NFL announced today. The free concert is the culmination of a three-day Draft celebration in Chicago's Grant Park. Tickets are not required.
The 23-year-old singer/guitarist, Phillips, will close out the week-long fan festivities. Phillips' debut single "Home" marked the biggest opening sales week for an American Idol winner and his 2013 album, The World from the Side of the Moon, made its debut at No. 4 on Billboard's Top 200.
"The combination of passionate football fans, a unique venue and live music in the heart of Chicago will be an unforgettable way to close out the week-long Draft celebrations," said Phillips. "Enhancing the NFL Draft experience for fans and showcasing the remarkable city is going to be an incredible experience."
Chicago-natives JC BROOKS & THE UPTOWN SOUND will open for Phillips' with a performance in front of their hometown fans. Formed in Chicago in 2007, the MOJO Magazine calls them "one of the hottest U.S. soul acts." Singer/songwriter MARC SCIBILIA will kick off the free event with songs from his debut album, Out of Style.
Fans may view the concert from the general public viewing areas inside Draft Town. Access to the general public viewing areas is first come, first served. Fans do not need tickets to attend the free concert or Draft Town.
The musical performances, which begin at 5 p.m. CT, are part of the free, expansive interactive Draft celebration in Grant Park open all three days of the Draft. Full of music, food and more, the 900,000-square foot Draft Town celebration is the size of more than 15 football fields.
For more information on Draft Town attractions and events, visit NFL.com/DraftTown.
Fans should follow @NFL on Twitter and use #NFLDraft for the most up-to-date information. Fans in Chicago are encouraged to share their experience using #DraftTown.
Draft Town Presented by Oikos Triple Zero
Draft Town will feature interactive elements, flag football competitions, concessions, player appearances/autograph signings, an NFL Draft Shop, the NFL PLAY 60 Field presented by Danimals, where youth football clinics will take place, visits from Draft prospects and more.
The three-day event will culminate on Saturday night with a concert to close out Draft Town festivities. An assortment of Draft Town fan experiences are detailed below.
- Sweetness Simulator - Fans get the chance to soar just like Chicago Bears legendary running back Walter Payton, also known as "Sweetness." This wind tunnel skydive simulator floats fans into the air where they can strike an iconic football pose in the heart of the windy city.
- Run Like the Wind - Fans will have the opportunity to test their speed by running alongside a 40-yard long LED screen featuring NFL stars running the 40-yard dash.
- AFC & NFC Row/Team Houses - All 32 NFL clubs have a home at Draft Town at their Team House. Divided into AFC Row and NFC Row, these ultimate fan caves provide a place for fans to gather and engage with unique club content and memorabilia.
- NFL PLAY 60 Zone Presented by Danimals - An interactive area for kids and families to play together. It includes an obstacle course, mobile app gaming, green screen photo opportunity, the NFL PLAY 60 Bus and more.
- NFL PLAY 60 Field Presented by Danimals - The NFL and USA Football will host youth football clinics on the NFL Play 60 Field. Local coaches and NFL Legends will come together to teach youth about the importance of getting active and playing for 60 minutes a day.
- Super Bowl Museum (Pro Football Hall of Fame display area) - This exhibit features historical Bears memorabilia, the Vince Lombardi Trophy, Super Bowl rings and the AFC and NFC Conference Championship Trophies.
- Draft Tavern Presented by Bud Light - The hottest place to drink the coldest beer and support your team during the NFL Draft.
Grant Park's famous Buckingham Fountain will be lit up in the colors of the team that is on the clock during the Draft's first two nights.
Draft Town hours of operation are: Thursday, April 30: 4-10 p.m.; Friday, May 1: 4-10 p.m.; and Saturday, May 2: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Selection Square will serve as the epicenter of the Draft. Located across Michigan Avenue from the Auditorium Theatre, Selection Square will feature all 32 team tables where representatives from each NFL team will make their Draft selections throughout the three days.
Selection Square is free and will include a reserved seating section, and NFL Network produced live programming all three days of the Draft. Upon selection, Draft picks in attendance will be featured outside in Selection Square for interviews in front of the crowd.
# # #