Menu
Saint Paul Roman Catholic Church
  • Designed by Henry J Schlacks in 1897-1899, the parish of St. Paul symbolizes a great heritage. It began with a small German community that established it in 1876. These newly arrived immigrants came with a strong creative work ethic accompanied by a staunch faith in the providence of God. They initiated a spirited civic community filled with a culture brought from their native land. The school was the first thing built in 1892. In 1897 the corner stone was laid for the church. The exterior was completed in three years and singled out in Ripley’s Believe It Or Not as “The church built without a nail.” The two exceptionally tall church spires and school building portray a faith community bent on producing responsible leaders ready to serve. In recent years the neighborhood has changed. It is now multi-cultural but predominately Latino. The parish remains as a catalyst for neighborly understanding and civic pride.