- This event has passed.
Museums, Galleries & Exhibitions
Fireside Chat and Closing Reception with Evelyn Perkins
Talk 1-2PM, Evelyn Perkins: Building Your Own Nursing Legacy
Closing Ceremony: 12-3PM
Hektoen Nurses and Humanities and the International Museum of Surgical Science are delighted to announce the exhibit: Remembrance & Renewed Hope, on view for the month of May in the Museum’s historic Library in honor of Nurses Month. The Museum’s library features a long antique green table and chairs. This exhibition will feature fourteen place settings for a Nurse’s dinner table display. Nine of the settings feature past nursing leaders (Remembrance) and five are current nursing leaders (Renewed Hope). The displays are created by a group of nurses who are also practicing artists. Discover each artist’s interpretation of these important nurse figures.
Featured nurses will include:
- Florence Nightingale (D)
- Mary Seacole (D)
- Clara Barton (D)
- Ildaura Murillo-Rohde (D)
- The 1964 student nurses from South Chicago Community Hospital Nursing school (D)
- Luther Christman (D)
- Anne Zimmerman (D) Executive Director of the Illinois Nurses Association (INA)
- Sharon Cahill, BSN, RN (D)
- Krystal Hanrahan, MSN, RN (D)
- Janice Phillips, PhD, CENP, FAAN (A) Director of Nursing Research & Health Equity at Rush University Medical Center
- Mary McDermott, BSN, MSN, EdD, FAAN (A)
- Kristin Ramsey, MSN, MPPM, RN, NE-BC (A) Senior VP, Quality, NMHC, Wood-Prince Family Chief Nurse Executive, NMH/NMG
- Barb Holmes Gobel, MS, RN, ACDN, FAAN (A) Associate Director of Professional Practice and Development & Magnet Program Director
- Lauren Underwood, MSN, RN, MPH (A) Democratic Party Communication Chair, Democratic Representative IL in Congress 2023
- Sedane Henderson PCT
- Ma. Eliza Micha Alcantara RN
- Alyssa Hudik RN
- Janessa Anguiano RN
- John Smisek RN
- Alyssa Saklak RN
- Maria Zaragoza LPN
- Marcela Gomez RN
- Johana Hernandez RN
- Sonja Will, Administrator
- Sophie Oracz, RN
- Cora Palmer, RN
Guest Speakers related to the arts and humanities as well as workshops and conversations among nurse artists will be scheduled.
Learn more: https://imss.org/remembrance-renewed-hope/
Light refreshments are included.
Accessible accommodations include a ramp entrance and elevator. If you need additional accessibility options or wheelchair seating please contact us at email@example.com.
Parking and Directions can be found here: https://imss.org/plan-your-visit/
About the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses Chicago Chapter #317: AMSN(Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses) Chicago chapter #317 was founded in 2008 at Northwestern Memorial Hospital by a team of 12 dedicated nurses, who are still committed to excelling Medical-Surgical Nursing care in the city Chicago!
About Hektoen Nurses and the Humanities: Nurses & the Humanities was founded in June 2006 to present programs that demonstrate and encourage the healing power of the arts and the humanities for caregivers and their patients. Programs addressing diverse themes of nursing and the humanities (art, literature, history, philosophy, music, theater, and dance) have various formats, including lectures, workshops, classes, and excursions. The programs are geared towards nurses, caregivers, medical professionals, and nursing students, but are open to the general public.
The Hektoen Institute Nurses and Humanities Advisory Committee provides humanistic, creative and interactive educational opportunities to clinicians. We endeavor to expand imaginative horizons and to explore the arts as a source of healing for the self and for providing compassionate and holistic care to others. Our interactive arts-focused programs offer opportunities to network outside the healthcare arena and to explore the untapped healing potential of creativity.