Chicago has long been an international dance destination for its wide variety of foot friendly venues, big and small, where anyone who loves to boogie can find the right fit for their needs. But with summer months here, you may be hoping to take advantage of the few glorious weeks we get of warm weather when it comes time to cut a rug. The good news is that Chicago boasts a bevy of outdoor opportunities to get down in the great outdoors!
If you're looking for a weekly wind-down with great drinks and food to fill your Sunday Funday, Estate can't be beat. Its rooftop dance floor includes a gratis view of the city's skyline. Your evening will be soundtracked by a combination of local talents and world class import DJs. Everyone from Deep Dish's Dubfire to Detroit's Recloose has been found on Estate's wheels of steel. Great appetizers and drinks complete the package, making it one of our favorite places to dance your afternoon into the evening.
But if the electronic dance music crowd isn't for you, never fear. The Chicago Park District is sponsoring regular Nights Out in the Parks events throughout the summer, featuring danceable bands and a live DJ at city parks throughout the south and west side of the city every Friday evening. The Chicago Park District also presents the Chicago Summerdance series, which offers dance lessons and social dancing in a broad selection of styles, bringing rich offerings for dancers of every kind in Grant Park's Spirit of Music Garden, Thursday through Sunday, all season long. You'll find everything from line-dancing to slow dancing and best of all, it's free! Complete information is available on the City Of Chicago website.
- Friday, August 2, 2013: Infraverde at Kelvyn Park - 4438 W. Wrightwood, 60639
- Friday, August 9, 2013: The Lawrence Peters Outfit at Taylor-Lauridsen Park - 704 W. 42nd St 60609
- Friday, August 16, 2013: The Outlineers at Sherman Park- 1301 W. 52nd St. 60609
- Friday, August 23, 2013: Conjunto at Cornell Square Park - 1809 W. 50th St. 60609
- Friday, August 30, 2013: The Michael Harper Project at Meyering Park - 7140 S. King Dr. 60619
- Thursday, August 8, 2013: Tangata - Kaia String Quartet (Argentine Tango); American Tango Institute (Argentine Tango)
- Friday, August 9, 2013: Carlos Nuñez (Spanish Galician & Irish Bagpipe Music); Irish Music School of Chicago (Irish Folk Dances)
- Saturday, August 10, 2013: The Hoyle Brothers (Honky-Tonk Country); May I Have This Dance (Country Two-Step)
- Sunday, August 11, 2013: The Ragtops (50s and 60s Oldies Dance Music); Dancing with Class (Sock Hop: Mashed Potato, Pony & Twist)
- Thursday, August 15, 2013: Raul Jaurena (Tango); Tango 21 (Argentine Tango)
- Friday, August 16, 2013: The Boilermaker Jazz Band (Authentic Swing and Jazz); Big City Swing (East Coast Swing)
- Saturday, August 17, 2013: Naborí (Traditional Salsa); Chicago Dance (Salsa)
- Sunday, August 18, 2013: Angel Melendez & The 911 Mambo Orchestra (Big Band Mambo Orchestra); Latin Street Dance Academy (Salsa)
- Thursday, August 22, 2013: T-Rroma (Eastern European Folk Music); Ethnic Dance Chicago (Southern Slavic Regional Dances: Kolo, Drmesh)
- Friday, August 23, 2013: National Steppers Society (Chicago Steppin'); Ken Watkins (Chicago Steppin')
- Saturday, August 24, 2013: Alfonso Ponticelli & Swing Gitan (Gypsy Swing); May I Have This Dance (Jitterbug)
- Sunday, August 25, 2013: Joel Paterson & The Modern Sounds (30s & 40s Swing); Big City Swing (Jitterbug)
- Thursday, August 29, 2013: Golden Horse Ranch Band (Country & Square Dance); Golden Horse; Ranch Band (Square and Contra Dancing, Waltz, Polka)
- Friday, August 30, 2013: DJ Boolumaster (Classic House, Disco); The Thomas Twins (Line Dancing)
- Saturday, August 31, 2013: Papo Santiago y Orquesta Infraverde (Afro-Caribbean, Latin Jazz, Salsa); Arthur Murray Dance Center (Salsa, Rumba)
Written By Marea Stamper, Dance / Electronic Editor, ChicagoMusic.org
Help us keep the lights on by subscribing to Chicago Like a Local. For your efforts, we'll deliver awesome stories (like this one) to your inbox. Do we have a deal?