Constructed in 1914 as a modest, 14,000-seat ballpark on the North Side of Chicago, Wrigley Field certainly has humble beginnings. Yet after 100 years, Wrigley Field has only grown more alluring with age, becoming a sports pantheon and one of the city's most prized landmarks. And today, Chicagoans, a season-celebration kicks off to honor this storied sports mecca!
Celebrate 10 Decades, Experience 10 Homestands
Kicking off its 100th birthday in 2014, Wrigley Field is pulling out all the stops with this season's celebrations. Dubbed the "Party of the Century," Wrigley's 100th birthday will be commemorated with 10 decade-themed homestands, complete with historic throwback uniforms, specialty food offerings, promotional items and entertainment. Wrigley Field's official 100th birthday will be recognized April 23, 2014 when the Chicago Cubs take on the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Throwback Uniforms: On the 100th birthday game against the Diamondbacks on April 23, the Cubs will wear a 1914 Chi-Feds uniform, a replica jersey honoring the Chicago Federals, the first time to play at Weeghman Park before it was renamed to Wrigley Field. The remaining uniforms will be worn on the "Throwback Sunday" game, the first Sunday of each corresponding decade. Visiting clubs are expected to wear retro uniforms as well.
- Historic Bobbleheads: During the first Friday home game of each homestand, the first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive never-before-produced bobblehead dolls honoring key players or historic events in the park's history. The first exclusive bobblehead is Joe Tinker, to be given out on Friday, April 18.
- Retro Toys: "Throwback Sunday" games will also feature retro toy giveaways to children ages 13 and under. A Cubs diecast train engine will be given to the first 5,000 kids in attendance at the game on Sunday, April 20.
- Dining Through the Decades: The ballpark's Sheffield Grill will transform into the "Decades Diner" all season long, serving up classic decade-inspired dish during each homestand. Four unique hot dog creations will rotate throughout the 2014 season - the Reuben Dog, Chicago Dog, Buffalo Wing Dog and Pulled Pork Dog - as well as other inspired hot dog combinations.
- Wrigley Field's 100 Greatest Moments presented by Budweiser: The Cubs will unveil and pay tribute to 100 great moments in Wrigley Field history throughout each regular season home game this season, with planned appearances by a number of athletes, performers and other special guests.
To learn more about Wrigley Field's 100-year history, and to get more information about the "Party of the Century" homestands, visit www.WrigleyField100.com.
The Cubs begin the 2014 regular season on the road against their division rival Pittsburgh Pirates, March 31-April 3. Then, they return home to the "Friendly Confines" for their home opener, taking on the Philadelphia Phillies April 4-6.