Promoting sound body and mind, yoga is among the most popular methods of honing one's strength, flexibility and mental balance. Taking yoga one step further is Chicago Kids Yoga Fest, whose message promotes compassion, community and non-violence. The First Annual Chicago Kids and Family Yoga Fest, August 17 from 10 a.m. - 10 p.m., invites the city of Chicago and Chicagoland area to Garfield Park Conservatory for a day of family activities!
This free event is a celebration of a mission for peace and non-violence amongst Chicago communities, taught primarily through the practice of yoga to children and adults.
Teaching children about non-violence and rallying around the ideas of kindness and compassion are the goals the Chicago Kids Yoga Fest hopes to achieve. The Chicago Kids Yoga LLC, established in 2013, is a team of seasoned event and marketing professionals that host kids and family yoga events throughout the country, producing events of all sizes.
Through programs and events like the Chicago Kids Yoga Fest, this group seeks to educate communities on the importance of yoga and meditation, all while inspiring kids and families to practice for peace.
Some of the most anticipated activities during Chicago Kids Yoga Fest include:
- Interactive Classes and Workshops: Kids of all ages can practice peace with local instructors, including Mira Binzen of Global Family Yoga; Mia Park with Chic-a-go-go; Yoli Maya Yeh with Peace Within YOUth, Yoga Gardens NFP, Smarty Pants Yoga; and Tammie Ciciura, author of "Namaste."
- Family Scavenger Hunt: Wander Garfield Park Conservatory with map in hand decoding clues in each location to find activities, games and treasures.
- Two Music Stages: Get up and dance or sit back and listen to live music with The Householders, Devi2000, The Bliss Tribe, DJ Taz, Bhakti Caravan and Low End Theory.
- Family Friendly Fire Jam: Watch in awe as Pyrotechniq takes the stage with a magical choreographed fire performance created especially for #ChicagoKidsYogaFest
- Chic-a-go-go Dance Party: Dance your heart out with Ratso and Miss Mia as they tape their next episode from the fest.
- Art Studio: Channel your inner Picasso and create a masterpiece of your own to take home with you as a wonderful handcrafted souvenir from the day.
The Chicago Kids Yoga Fest will also be holding a Kick-Off Party, Practice Peace & Play, June 28 from 3 - 5 p.m. at the Menomonee Club's Drucker Center. Families with children of all ages are encouraged to attend with bats and yoga mats in hand, though they are not required. Coaches and staff will be on hand to teach the fundamentals of any sport or team through live demos and drills, and will also speak to parents on how classes and leagues aid children in building confidence while emphasizing the importance of teamwork and cooperation.
Other activities like an obstacle course introducing kids and families to the many aspects of yoga and meditation will also be offered.
For more information on Chicago Kids Yoga, LLC and #ChicagoKidsYogaFest, visit www.chicagokidsyoga.com.