This Mother's Day, Chicago will be buzzing with appreciation for the woman who sat through all of your band concerts and soccer tournaments, and waited up late for you with a smile on her face. Luckily, there's a Mother's Day brunch to match your mom: dress up in your Sunday best, order her a mimosa, and thank Mom for being there when you needed her most! Here are ten special spots to treat your mom for Mother's Day in just two weeks on Sunday, May 11, 2014.
1. For the Mom who loves seafood: Devon Seafood Grill (39 E Chicago Ave)Devon Seafood Grill in Downtown Chicago (312-440-8660) is celebrating Mom this Mother's Day, May 11, with a special brunch buffet from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. In addition to all Mom's favorite breakfast picks, including Biscuits & Gravy, Fresh Scrambled Eggs, Country Style Home Fries, Thick Cut Apple Wood Smoked Bacon, Sausage Links, a Homemade Granola Bar, and Omelet Station - you'll find both a Premier Station, where you can sample Slow Roasted Prime Rib and Steamed Alaskan Red King Crab Legs as well as a Chilled Seafood Display featuring Devon Seafood classics, including Smoked Trout, Smoked Salmon, Oysters on the Half Shell, Shrimp Cocktail, Maki Rolls, Shrimp Ceviche, and Smoked Mussels. Complete your meal at the sweets table: Panna Cotta, Chocolate Truffle Cake, Key Lime Tart, Heaps of Cookies, Mini Carrot Cake, Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Grand Marnier White Chocolate Mousse. For more information or to make a reservation call 312.440.8660.
2. For the Mom who loves a good Chicago-style steakhouse: Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse (1028 N Rush St)
Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse (312-266-8999) invites all moms to celebrate Mother's Day with USDA Gibsons Prime Angus steaks, chops, fresh fish, enormous lobster tails, massive desserts, an extensive wine list and famously large martinis, with a dinner menu available all day long. Save room for a side of people watching at this classic Chicago steakhouse.
3. For the Mom who loves chocolate: NoMI Boutique Chocolate (800 N Michigan Ave)This Mother's Day weekend, NoMI Boutique Chocolate (312-239-4030) is "popping up" in the Park Hyatt Chicago Library: this temporary pastry shop will transport you to a world of chocolate. Award-winning Pastry Chef Meg Galus' and her team have been sourcing rare and unique varieties to create an array of offerings, ranging from handcrafted bonbons to French and American style pastries, as well as personalized gift packages. Expect all things sweet and delicious, including bars, lollipops, caramels, enrobed nuts, eclairs, tarts, petits gâteaux, macarons, cookies, brownies and more. These works of art will be crafted using only the finest chocolate from makers around the globe including Valrhona, Cacao Barry, Felchlin, Guittard, Amedei and TCHO. The NoMi Boutique Chocolate will only be popping up on Saturday, April 26-Sunday, May 11 (Mother's Day) from 1pm-8pm.
4. For the Mom who loves a nice picnic: Blue Door Farm Stand (843 W Armitage Ave)Lincoln Park's Blue Door Farm Stand (773.935.2583) is the perfect spot to fill a picnic basket up with gourmet goods. You'll find a fine selection of seasonal pantry items from artisans across the United States, with a focus on locally sourced goods. Add some of the farm stands tasty sandwiches and rich salads to your basket and you're ready to walk to a nearby park - Oz Park or Lincoln Park or even the Lincoln Park Zoo - and set down a blanket for a feast fit for the best Mom in the world.
5. For the Mom who loves Lake Michigan: The Odyssey
Step aboard the Odyssey, which sets sail from Navy Pier, on Mother's Day at 9:30 am for stunning skyline views and a delicious brunch. All moms on board will be honored with a rose and complimentary glass of champagne or mimosa. What mom doesn't love this already? As an added bonus, moms cruise free on any of the classic cruise ships with the purchase of three adult tickets when booked by Monday, April 28. Reservations are required at 866.305.2469
6. For the Mom who loves Italian cuisine: Fiorentino's Cucina Italiana (2901 N Ashland Ave)
Fiorentino's Cucina Italiana (773.244.3026) is our (Italian!) family's pick for some of the best authentic Italian cuisine in Chicago. Expect rustic soups, house made pastas (the manicotti are exceptional!), flavorful sauces and seasonal recipes, as well as a selection of Italian wines from small but distinguished wineries. Fiorentino's is also offering all moms who visit on Mother's Day a $20 gift card for a return visit!
7. For the Mom who loves Mexican cuisine: Mezcalina (333 E Benton Pl)
The Dia de la Madre Brunch at Mezcalina (312-240-1000) will feature all the traditional Mexican fare Mom loves including Chilaquiles Verdes o Rojos (fried tortillas, avocado-leaf seasoned refried black beans, onion, avocado, cilantro, cream, queso fresco topped with either tomatillo salsa or red ranchero salsa), and Huevos Divorciados (two sunny side up eggs, tomatillo salsa, red salsa, avocado-leaf seasoned refried black beans), as well as traditional American brunch items like Hot Cakes and French Toast. All moms will receive a complimentary glass of cava, too!
8. For the Mom who loves jazz: Drake Hotel (140 E Walton Pl)
Celebrate in style at the Drake Hotel's (312-787-2200) classic Mother's Day Brunch featuring live entertainment by the Elaine Dame Jazz Trio. Executive Chef Franco Diaz, will feature a medley of palate pleasing masterpieces including made-to-order ornate omelets, fresh salad and sushi, and the Drake's signature dishes. A children's room with a theater, balloon specialist, caricature artist, and face painter will also be on hand so Mom can dine in peace. To reserve, contact Shaun.Rajah@hilton.com or Kristina Covell at 312-932-4302.
9. For the Mom who loves French cuisine: Bistronomic (840 N Wabash)
Executive Chef/Owner Martial Noguier of Bistronomic in the heart of Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood (312-944-8400) invites all moms to enjoy a seasonal Mother's Day Brunch Menu at his award-winning restaurant. Showcasing seasonal and sustainable ingredients from Midwestern farms, Bistronomic offers housemade, modern cuisine rooted in the French culture and bistro experience. Available on Sunday, May 11th, 2014 from 9:30am until 4:00pm., the three-course Mother's Day Brunch Menu will feature such highlights as Asparagus Velouté, Eggs Benedict Meurette, and the Bistronomic Napoleon. Bottomless mimosas are available for an additional $15 per person.
10. For the mom that likes 1940's style big-band swing: Untitled (111 W Kinzie St)
Tell mom to dress up and don her pearls and treat her to free-flowing cava and a delectable brunch buffet at Untititled. This speakeasy-themed space is divided into several different rooms, including a velvet-booth adorned library and a craft cocktail lounge. The John Burnett Orchestra will be swinging into the afternoon as you and your family feast on a wide menu of brunch treats, including braised suckling lamb, Smoked Whiskey Skuna Bay Salmon , and Lemon Curd Ricotta Pancakes.