CHICAGO's BRIDGES -- are iconic and fascinating centerpieces that made the Windy City what it is today -- the Drawbridge Capital of the World and city with the most drawbridges of any municipality in North America. Author and Chicago bridge historian Patrick McBriarty (see also www.PTMWerks.com) has chronicled the development of the city through its bridges in his award winning book Chicago River Bridges and with filmmaker Stephen Hatch formed Hatch Werks LLC to produce the documentary Chicago Drawbridges (see also www.ChicagoDrawbridges.com), which has been broadcast on Chicago and Milwaukee Public Television. We offer unique gift Books and DVDs, specialty multimedia presentations, walking and boat tours of Chicago's bridges relating the architectural, engineering, and human dramas that surround the city's bridges, past and present, which are detailed below:
• The book Chicago River Bridges -- makes a great gift for corporate events and tourists alike. This coffee table format, history and photographic guide, and award-winning book on Chicago's bridges (past and present) makes a handsome gift. It particularly resonates with engineers, architects, or anyone interested in the built environment and/or Chicago history. Author signed and inscribed books are available on my website www.PTMWerks.com. The book is available at Chicago's better independent and museum bookstores, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.com. And Choose Chicago purchased 25 copies for the gift closet last October. For orders of five or more copies contact me directly to take advantage of bulk pricing and special handling at Patrick@PTMWerks.com. (List Price $44.95)
• The children's book Drawbridges Open and Close -- makes a great gift for kids and is loved by adults. This first book in the PTM Werks Series creates a Richard Scarry-esque world of fanciful animal characters, vehicles, water and aircraft designed to introduce kids in a fun way to STEM topics. These books show the behind-the-scenes, mechanics, and procedures to answer the questions kids often ask about how machines that are all around us work that most adults struggle to answer completely. This first book it to be followed by Airplanes Take off and Land (early 2015) and Crosstown Trains Stop and Go (fall 2015). Author signed and inscribed books are available on my website www.PTMWerks.com. The book is available for sale at better independent and museum bookstores, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.com. For orders of five or more copies contact me directly to take advantage of bulk pricing and special handling at Patrick@PTMWerks.com. (List Price $15.95)
• The DVD Chicago Drawbridges -- also makes a great gift or takeaway for any event and are available on the film website www.ChicagoDrawbridges.com and on ShopPBS.com. The DVD includes an additional 100 minutes of special features of full-length interviews with the filmmakers, Chicago River and bridge experts, and two of Chicago's bridge operators. For multiple quantities contact us to take advantage of volume discounts at ChicagoDrawbridges@gmail.com. (List Price $24.00)
Experiences & Special Offerings:
• Chicago Architectural Bridge Tours -- get up close to see and learn about how Chicago's downtown bridges work, their architectural and engineering significance, and the human dramas that surround them from author and Chicago bridge historian Patrick McBriarty. Offered as a 2-hour guided walking or river boat tour this great experiential option for locals, visiting trade groups, or conference participants delivers a truly authentic Chicago experience. Patrick in an exclusive partnership with Wendella Boats has provided monthly Chicago River Bridges Tours from June through October on the Chicago River throughout the 2014 season. Independently he has created customized walking tours for the 2014 AIA Annual Conference and will provide walking tours for the SAH Annual Conference in April 2015. For details, planning, and pricing of a walking or river boat tour on the bridges contact me at Patrick@PTMWerks.com.
• Chicago Bridge Talks -- whether for a trade group, conference, school, or library my author talks about bridges are fun, informative, and well received by folks of all ages. They introduce to the importance, architecture, engineering and impact of bridges on Chicago and the world, interspersed with the human dramas floods, fires, catapults, and cattle that have surrounded the bridges. Each presentation typically lasts 55 - 65 minutes including 10-15 minutes of Q&A. An honorarium of $250 is requested and is negotiable along with the opportunity to sell books and DVDs during the event. Two basic presentations are offered and maybe customized upon request.
o The Chicago Bridge Talk -- is a multimedia presentation explaining the importance of the bridges in the development of the Windy City through its bridges to become the Drawbridge Capital of the World. Most modern moveable bridges were first designed, tested, and built in Chicago before anywhere else on earth and Chicago has more drawbridges than any city in North America. A fundamental and conceptual classroom or school auditorium presentation is also available (honorarium negotiable based on the number of students).
o A Talk on the Importance of the Michigan Avenue Bridge -- is a multimedia presentation explaining the importance of the Michigan Avenue Bridge as an economic engine and major infrastructure improvement to the continued development of the Windy City. Without this bridge the Magnificent Mile on North Michigan Avenue would have never surpassed State Street to become the premier commercial and shopping center of Chicago. The most iconic of Chicago's bridges, the landmarked Michigan Avenue Bridge completed in 1920 preceded four earlier Rush Street swing bridges and was proposed by the Burnham and Bennett Plan of Chicago of 1909.
• A Screening of Chicago Drawbridges -- bring this 56-minute documentary to your organization. Chicago Drawbridges chronicles the importance of the bridges in the development of the Windy City from the first wood footbridge, built by a tavern owner in 1832, to the iconic steel and concrete structures of today crossing the Chicago River. This film has been broadcast on Chicago and Milwaukee Public Television, screened in Hamburg, Germany by the Chicago Sister Cities International, and in Park City, Utah during the 2013 Sundance Film Festival. By request Director Stephen Hatch and Narrator Patrick McBriarty, the co-producers of the film, are happy to appear to provide additional commentary and answer questions for most any screening event. For details, pricing, and to schedule a screening contact us at ChicagoDrawbridges@gmail.com.
• Content and Promotional Materials Surrounding Bridges -- need video, images, and content to get people excited about Chicago for a particular event or conference? Patrick McBriarty is regularly developing, photographing, and documenting new aspects of Chicago and its bridges and is a great resource to deliver informative and interesting content for newletters, email blasts, and social media. Bridges connect us all -- enlist Patrick to help create, research, or develop a bridge connection relevant to your organization to excite potential participants in your next program, event, or conference. For details, scope, and pricing for content development contact me at Patrick@PTMWerks.com.