August 31, 2012 - September 3, 2012
This event has passed. Please visit the Events Calendar
for a calendar of upcoming events.
Transport yourself across the African Diaspora with interactive demonstrations, historical artifacts, colorful and rich fabrics, informative health and wellness workshops, and vibrant entertainment. Known as the largest neighborhood festival in Chicago, AFA is celebrating its 23rd year.
Indulge in exotic African cuisine in the food court, including:
- Egusi from Nigeria
- Wolof rice from Senegal
- Jerk chicken, goat-meat and fish from the Caribbean
- Distinct Cajun and Soul foods from different corners of the world
Live Entertainment - Headliners
- "Awakening" - Friday - MC Lyte
- "Afro Soul" - Saturday - George Clinton
- "Praise Dance" - Sunday - Inspired House Music by the Chosen Few
- "Our Own Time" - Monday - Lyfe Jennings
Immerse yourself in African fine arts and literature in the Fine Arts Pavilion.
- A variety of photography and fine art, including original oils, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, charcoal, and graphite
- Wearable art and jewelry
- The Book Pavilion showcases best-selling and emerging authors, sharing their cultural interpretations and the legacy of storytelling in the Griot tradition.
- Enjoy games, music, dance, storytelling, theater, arts, drum and crafts all day long
- Performance by M.A.D.D Rhythms
- Learn how to play drums with Seneke West African Percussion Ensemble
- Watch a fashion show with designs by Afro-Funk and hair by Amazon
ICE Theaters Film Pavilion
- Daily screenings of short and full-length films produced mostly by African and African American filmmakers
- Previews of movie trailers for upcoming major motion pictures
- Free popcorn and free movie posters