Sometimes winter in Chicago calls for the warming power of a delicious cocktail or breaking open that anticipated bottle of wine together with old and new friends. Here are five spirit- and wine-focused events around the city, including ENOversity's January class focusing on rare wines from around the world.
1. A Warm Winter Cocktail Tasting at WestEnd
A cold winter night can be cured with one thing—a hot toddy! WestEnd hosts a warm cocktail tasting to take off the chill from the inside, with tickets including access to four stations, including an Irish Coffee stop with Jameson Black Barrel, a Hot Toddy station with Maker’s Mark, a Spiked Hot Chocolate station with Effen Black Cherry and a Boozy Hot Cider stop with Mt. Gay Black Barrel, along with passed appetizers.
Wednesday, January 11, at 7 p.m. | WestEnd (1326 W. Madison Street)
$15/person | GET TICKETS
2. Moscow Mule Lovers Unite: Schoolyard Tavern Kicks off Their Moscow Mule Special
Friday, January 13; 8-10 p.m. | Schoolyard Tavern (3258 N. Southport)
$35/person | GET TICKETS
3. Margaritas, Tacos and Artistic Talent at "Action:" A Federales Live Art Series
Wednesday, January 18, at 5:30-7:30 p.m. | Federales (180 N. Morgan Street)
4. A Rare Whiskey Tasting at Sidebar Grille
Wednesday, January 25; 5:30-7 p.m. | Sidebar Grille (221 N. LaSalle Street)
$25/person | GET TICKETS
5. "Bucket List Wines:" ENOversity's January class at the ENO Wine Bar at the InterContinental Hotel
ENOversity is a monthly class led by the expert staff of sommeliers at ENO Wine Bar on Sunday afternoons with two sessions at 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Each month focuses on different varietals and regions, and offers an interactive and informative experience for wine lovers and novices alike.
Kick off 2017 in style with an ENOversity class dedicated to high-end “bucket list” wines from around the globe: The rare wines featured in January’s class are selections from the some of top producing wine regions, from Piedmont to Burgundy, Barbaresco to Bordeaux. This month’s ENOversity will feature:
- 2006 Egly-Ouriet, Champagne Grand Cru Prestige Millesime Brut
- 2012 Benoit Ente 'Les Folatieres' 1er PM
- 2013 Henri Gouges 'Les Pruliers’ 1er NSG
- 2010 Mastrojanni, Brunello di Montalcino Vigna Schiena d'Asino
- 2012 Sandrone Cannubi Boschis
- 1996 Rauzan-Segla
In addition to sipping premier wines, guests will also be served an assortment of cheeses, charcuterie and chocolates to pair.
Sunday, January 22, 2017, 3 p.m. or 6 p.m. | ENO Wine Bar (505 N. Michigan Avenue)
$120/person | GET TICKETS
Can't make the January class? Check out the full Winter/Spring 2017 ENOversity schedule. Tickets for these sessions are $55:
- February 19, 2017: Bubbles
- March 26, 2017: Wine 101
- April 16, 2017: France–Loire
- May 21, 2017: Italy–Piedmont
The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the individual authors and commenters and do not reflect the views of Choose Chicago.