CHOOSE CHICAGO LAUNCHES NEW MOBILE APP
Choose Chicago now puts the city in the palm of your hand, with the launch of its free mobile app, available for both iPhone and Android.
Get the free app.
- Maps and business contact info
- Things to do and see near your location
- Money-saving deals and offers
- Events happening all around the city
- The latest Chicago weather
Users can also create a list of favorites to keep track of the places they most want to see, and access Choose Chicago's Facebook
accounts for daily updates on what's happening during their visit.
Details and app download
QATAR AIRWAYS BEGINS DAILY NONSTOP FLIGHTS TO O'HARE
Beginning April 10, 2013, Qatar Airways will begin daily nonstop service from Doha, the capital of Qatar, to Chicago. Approximate flying time will be 15 hours.
From the press release:
Qatar Airways' Boeing 777 aircraft operating on the Chicago route will feature 335 seats in a two-class configuration of 42 Business Class seats and 293 in Economy.
Business Class, configured in a spacious 2–2–2 layout, features seats that convert into fully-flat horizontal beds, 17 inch individual TV monitors and an award-winning dining experience.
The airline's Economy Class has the most generous leg room of any long-haul aircraft flying today with a seat pitch of up to 34 inches and seating in a 3–3–3 configuration.
NEW URBAN CAMPING HUB: ECOLOGICAL RESTORATION TO BEGIN AT NORTHERLY ISLAND
This fall, Northerly Island Park will undergo a tremendous transformation that will include both an ecological restoration and additions to park programs.
These new programs will add 900 family camping opportunities annually, including:
- A Wilderness Camping program, which will provide young people with two weeks of sailing, adventure courses and survival skills
- A Nature Oasis Family Camping program, which will allow families to enjoy outdoor activities, include fishing, bird watching, kayaking, stewardship hikes and storytelling around the campfire
- The Field Museum, Adler Planetarium and Shedd Aquarium are adding depth to the programs by providing experts and educational opportunities.
The new programs will start to be offered in 2013.
Ecological restorations will include:
- The restoration of shoreline habitats, coastal wetland and other coastal plant communities
- Installation of a pond hydraulically controlled through Lake Michigan ground water
- A new multi-purpose trail, nature trails and boardwalks
- Additional camping areas and viewpoints
- More native plantings and tree plantings
The ecological restoration project is planned for completion in the spring of 2014.
CITY ANNOUNCES EXPANSION OF SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARKS NEXT SUMMER
This past summer, more than 10,000 people gathered in 10 neighborhood parks to enjoy 17 world-class Shakespearean performances throughout the city — and they'll be able to do it again next year on an even larger scale.
The goal of the second annual Shakespeare in the Parks is to feature more performances at more locations to reach additional communities.
Attendance is free and shows run 75 minutes. Specific programming for 2013 will be announced at a later date.
More for travel professionals