Chicago News and Updates for Meeting Professionals
Chicago News: May
The Latest on the 2012 NATO Summit: May 20–21
Chicago is gearing up for one of the most high-profile meeting the city has ever hosted. Here's what's been happening/announced in preparation for the NATO Summit over the last month or so:
- On May 20, a dinner will be held at The Field Museum for the national leaders whose troops are part of the NATO force in Afghanistan — but whose countries are not members of NATO. This group is known as ISAF — International Security Assistance Force. More.
- Also on May 20, a reception will be held at Navy Pier for diplomats who are not at the ISAF or heads of state dinner. More.
- On May 21, after the NATO Summit has wrapped up, the Chicago NATO Host Committee is sponsoring a press party — possibly at the Lucky Strike bowling alley downtown. More.
- A study released recently reported that the NATO Summit is expected to give a $128 million boost to Chicago's economy. Details.
- Chicago Public School students made a video welcoming the NATO delegates. Watch the video.
Stay up to date on with chicagonato.org.
Taste of Chicago Headliners Announced
Taste of Chicago's main music acts were announced last month, creating even more buzz of the city's popular summer food fest, which takes places in Grant Park July 11–15. The details:
- July 11, 5:30pm: Jennifer Hudson
- July 12, 5:30pm: Death Cab for Cutie
- July 14, 5:30pm: Chaka Khan, with opening act Raphael Saadiq
- July 15, 3:30pm: Dierks Bentley, with opening act Lindi Ortega
Additional concerts and opening acts will be announced as Taste of Chicago gets closer. You'll be able to purchase a $25 seat at the Petrillo Music Shell for evening concerts at the festival. Learn more.
Chicago Greeter Opens New Location in Boystown
Beginning May 26, the free Chicago Greeter service, which provides free tours around the city for groups of six or fewer, will open a brand new InstaGreeter location in the heart of Boystown, Chicago's GLBT epicenter, at the Center on Halsted (3656 N. Halsted St.).
InstaGreeter offers free one-hour, on-the-spot tours (read: no reservations required) that are perfect for attendees with free time on their hands and an interest in exploring the Lakeview/Boystown/Wrigleyville neighborhoods.
Tours are available every other Saturday from 11am to 3pm (with the last tour leaving at 2pm). The summer schedule:
- May 26
- June 2, 16 and 30
- July 14 and 28
- August 11 and 25
- September 8 and 22
- October 6
Click here for more details.
Chicago Hotel Highlight: May
The New ACME Hotel: A Boutique Alternative
Goodbye, Comfort Inn & Suites. There's a new hotel in the house. As of April 27, River North's Comfort Inn became the ACME Hotel Company, thanks to floor-to-ceiling renovations. In the new, hip-meets-hipster digs, you'll find approachable accommodations, the latest technologies (think: Smart TVs with computer hook-ups), a meeting space with multiple set-up options and a creative, free-spirited vibe tying everything together.
- 900 square feet
- Seats 40 comfortably
- Audio-visual equipment
- Windows with views of the city
- Set-up options: boardroom and table, classroom, beanbag playroom
Accommodations (in each guest room)
- Comfortable, chic designs with hardwood floor
- Spacious work desk with ergonomically correct desk chairs
- Plush beds and bedding
- High-speed Internet and Internet-ready Smart TVs
- Wireless audio systems
- Spa-inspired bathrooms with backlit mirrors
- Self-serve mini bar, microwave and in-room safe
Learn more about ACME Hotel Company Chicago
- Breakfast discounts
- Business center
- Fitness center
- Daily housekeeping
- Dry-cleaning service
Browse Chicago hotels
More for meeting professionals