When you want to see the next big thing, see it in Chicago. The city boasts five Tony award-winning regional theater companies – more than any other city in the nation. And with more than 200 theater companies delivering everything from blockbuster hits to edgy improv skits, your entertainment options are endless.
Broadway in Chicago
Step out into the bright lights of Broadway In Chicago’s bustling downtown Theater District, where Broadway In Chicago features world-premieres and unforgettable award-winning musicals.
The 2012-2013 Fall/Winter season is packed with classics and new hits.
- I Love Lucy® Live On Stage (September 12 - November 11, 2012; December 29, 2012 - March 3, 2013)
- Kinky Boots (October 2 - November 4, 2012)
- Potted Potter (November 13 - December 16, 2012)
- Sister Act (November 13 - December 2, 2012)
- Les Miserables (November 14 - December 2, 2012)
- Cinderella (November 23, 2012 - January 6, 2013)
- Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical (December 5 - 16, 2012)
- The Book of Mormon (December 11, 2012 - June 2, 2013)
- War Horse (December 18, 2012 - January 5, 2013)
- Cathy Rigby is Peter Pan (January 30 - February 10, 2013)
Be moved at the Tony award-winning Steppenwolf Theatre, well known for its thought-provoking plays and trailblazing ensemble of fierce artists, many of whom appear on television and in movies.
The theme for the 2012-2013 season is The Reckoning, exploring how there comes a moment when we are called to account.
- Good People (September 13 - November 17, 2012)
- The Motherf**ker with the Hat (December 27, 2012 - March 3, 2013)
- The Birthday Party (January 24 - May 19, 2013)
- Head of Passes (April 4 - June 9, 2013)
- Belleville (June 27 - August 25, 2013)
Now in its fourth decade as a professional theater company, Steppenwolf has received unprecedented national and international recognition from media, theater critics, and audiences alike.
Find compelling drama and sophisticated comedy at the Tony award-winning Goodman Theatre. Goodman has been a part of life in Chicago for more than 80 years and is committed to producing both classic and contemporary works.
The 2012-2013 is a mix of timeless tales and rich new works.
- Sweet Bird of Youth (September 15 - October 28, 2012)
- A Christmas Carol (November 17 - December 29, 2012)
- Other Desert Cities (January 12 - February 17, 2013)
- Teddy Ferrara (February 2 - March 3, 2013)
- Measure for Measure (March 9 - April 14, 2012)
- The Happiest Song Plays Last (April 13 - May 12, 2013)
- By the Way, Meet Vera Stark (April 27 - June 2, 2013)
- The Jungle Book (June 21 - July 28, 2013)
Mind-blowing theatrics ignite at Chicago’s Tony award-winning Lookingglass Theatre. Co-founded by David Schwimmer, this intimate theater found a home in the landmark Water Tower Water Works building on Michigan Avenue.
Known for its dynamic, intellectual theater, the Lookingglass 2012-2013 season celebrates its 25th anniversary.
- Metamorphoses (September 19, 2012 - January 6, 2013)
- Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo (January 30, 2012 - March 10, 2013)
- Still Alice (April 10, 2013 - May 19, 2013)
- Big Lake Big City (June 19, 2013 - July 28, 2013)
Chicago Shakespeare Theater
Enjoy the works of William Shakespeare and other powerful performances from the past and present that resonate with Shakespeare’s timeless insights into the human condition at the Tony award-winning Chicago Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier.
The 2012-2013 season offers a variety of classics.
- The Strange Undoing of Prudencia Hart (September 26 - October 14, 2012)
- Sunday in the Park with George (September 26 - November 4, 2012)
- The School for Lies (December 4, 2012 - January 20, 2013)
- Julius Caesar (February 5 - March 24, 2013)
- Short Shakespeare! Romeo and Juliet (February 23 - March 23, 2013)
- Henry VIII (April 30 - June 16, 2013)
The Second City
Watch in amazement as the skilled improv troupe from The Second City takes the audience on a hilarious adventure. This improv-based sketch comedy made famous in Chicago will have you roaring with laughter. That explains why the likes of Tina Fey, Steve Carell, Alan Arkin and Catherine O’Hara are so funny. These premiere comics trained on our grounds.
- Who Do We Think We Are? (Mainstage)
- We're All In This Room Together (e.t.c.)
The Second City's newest addition is the UP Comedy Club
, featuring national stand-up comedians as well as sketch comedy revues. Check UP's website to see what shows are playing while you're in town.
Victory Gardens Theater
Savor the beauty of the Biograph Theater while you take in the enchanting performances from the Victory Gardens troupe. From a Victorian age comedy about female sexuality to a modern Latino take on Oedipus, you will find shows that celebrate, reflect and challenge the attitudes of our dynamic and diverse society through passionate new American voices.
Victory Gardens' 2012-2013 season includes local and world premieres.
- Equivocation (September 14 - October 14, 2012)
- Failure: A Love Story (November 16 - December 30, 2012)
- Disconnect (January 25 - February 24, 2013)
- The Whale (April 5 - May 5, 2013)
- Chicago Is Burning (July 12 - August 11, 2013)
Founded in 1974, Victory Gardens has been entertaining crowds for generations in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood. In 2006, Victory Gardens moved into Chicago’s famed Biograph Theater after an $11.8 million renovation. Notable for the FBI scene that ended bank robber John Dillinger’s life, the Biograph was a popular movie theater for 90 years.
You’ll never be short on theater options in Chicago. Well-known for its risk-taking storefront theater scene, you’ll find shows setting up shop in all sorts of untraditional venues. To get you started on the hunt for the next big thing, check out upcoming performances at Profiles Theatre, A Red Orchid Theatre and New Leaf Theatre.
League of Chicago Theatres
The League of Chicago Theatres is your source for the largest variety of Chicago theater. They serve a membership of more than 200 theaters, ranging from storefront, non-union theaters to major cultural centers. Plus, they offer half-price tickets to select shows through Hot Tix.